Our History

The beginnings of Saint Paul can be traced back to the year 1890. Members of the Greenville Methodist Church, later known as Buncombe Street, residing in the section known as "the West End," became anxious for a church there. On Sunday afternoons, the pastor of Greenville Methodist Church, Rev. J. A. Clifton, met and held worship services with interested persons in the old Greenville Hotel and later in the home of Mr. A. H. Cureton. Saint Paul Methodist Episcopal Church, South was organized on December 19, 1891.

At the annual conference held December 2, 1891 at Darlington, Rev. R. H. Jones was appointed pastor of Saint Paul. On December 19, he perfected the organization of Saint Paul. A grove on Green Avenue was purchased and a chapel was erected. The current site at the intersection of Anderson, Pendleton (now South Main) and Vardry Streets was purchased in 1899.

Saint Paul has been responsible for the organization of many other churches. Many people have entered into full time Christian service from Saint Paul. Today we continue our ministry in the community and the world with our prayers, our presence, our gifts and our service to the Lord.